BIENVENIDOS!

¡Hola!  ¡Bienvenidos a la clase de español! Hello! Welcome to Spanish Class

      Dear Student and Parent or Guardian,

I would like to welcome you to Spanish class.  My name is Señora Malisa and I have joined Señora Saunders this year as Spanish teacher.  This year I will be teaching 7th and 8th grade, and I am really looking forward to interesting students in Spanish language and culture.

My Personal Background

I was born and raised in California but spent two years of my life living in Mexico.  One of those years was when I was 16.  Not much older than you students!  I lived with a Mexican family as an exchange student with American Field Service.  This experience changed my life and left me with indelible memories.  I would encourage all of you to consider taking advantage of the many opportunities available to students for intercultural exchange.  After high school, I went on to get a degree in Global Studies with an emphasis on Latin American Studies, and another degree in Spanish.   Studying language and culture is a passion for me, and I have just returned from two years in the Peace Corps, where I served in Tanzania, East Africa and met my husband.  We currently live in Sebastopol with our baby, Elias. 

Expectations for the Classroom Environment

I encourage students to take Spanish class seriously.  I guarantee you that with a little bit of interest and effort, you will absorb so much more than an ability to order Mexican food!  Depending on grade level, we will continue to increase students’ linguistic base and broaden their cultural awareness.  Classes are designed to be anxiety free, supportive and fun.  But they are also challenging and time consuming!  Luckily in Spanish, you learn more when you have fun, so expect to enjoy the class.  At the same time, it takes time and preparation.  Just like a musician learns an instrument, a language learner must put in a lot of time before the real fun begins.

Academic Expectations

Come to each class prepared.  We will always have homework assignments, although they won’t always be difficult.  We will have weekly quizzes and respectful classroom participation is required.  Chapter tests and final exams will be given, but as one cannot learn a language by cramming for a test, they do not comprise the largest part of your grade.

Family Expectations

I expect that students will be informing and educating their families on what they are learning in Spanish class.  In turn, I expect that the families will support their students learning process. Language is a social tool and cannot be learned without frequent practice with others.  Practice at home.  Act goofy.  Learn Spanish.

First Assignment

The first assignment is to tag 20 items in the household with the Spanish name for the object.  Make a list of the objects and have it signed by an adult family member to bring to the next class along with a three ring binder especially for Spanish class.  This will be your own personal dictionary and compilation of all the work you will do throughout the year.  Your portfolio will be graded at the end of the year as a final project.

Have fun… ¡ y Muchas gracias!

 

Señora Malisa,

Spanish Teacher

 

 

No comments: